The Central Oklahoma Humane Society (OK Humane) is grateful for the generosity and support of the Oklahoma City community. Because of our culture of generosity we have so many who give their own time, money, and effort organizing fundraisers to benefit OK Humane. These fundraisers vary in type and size, but include businesses like restaurants and retail stores or business owners donating a percentage of sales, to individuals hosting garage sales, golf tournaments, and more.
Due to the number of requests we receive, the Central Oklahoma Humane Society cannot:
- Send an OK Humane representative to participate in all fundraisers
- Distribute posters or literature for your fundraiser at our locations
- Supply adoptable animals for your fundraiser
- Send emails to the OK Humane audience promoting your fundraiser
- Promote your fundraiser on social media channels
As a non-profit with limited resources unfortunately we do not have the personnel to handle the organizational and administrative tasks associated with third-party fundraisers. Therefore, you are responsible for all details of the fundraiser including underwriting all costs, staffing, publicity, execution, logistics.
Step 1: Contact us to request event approval
- Please send us an email with a detailed description of your fundraiser or event.
- Once your event is approved we ask that you help ensure that the Central Oklahoma Humane Society’s name, image, and reputation are properly represented by adhering to the following guidelines:
- The fundraiser must be promoted in a manner to avoid statements or the appearance of OK Humane endorsing any product, firm, organization, individual, or service.
- The name and logo must be used in accordance with OK Humane’s graphic standards. All promotional materials must clearly state the percentage of proceeds that will benefit OK Humane.
- Fundrasier organizers must obtain their own liability insurance to cover the event. OK Humane is not financially liable for the promotion and/or staging of third-party events.
- Under no circumstances should third-party event revenue and expenses flow through OK Humane books. Only the final net proceeds from the event are to be processed by OK Humane.
- Third-party fundraisers cannot be held at any OK Humane location.
Step 2: Plan and market your event
- Seek the help of friends and family. Getting help with an event will help you brainstorm creative ideas, divide the work and have more fun.
- Crunch the numbers.In the early stages of planning, you should identify your expenses and potential sources of income and donations. You should also set a fundraising goal for your event.
- Keep expenses low.Increase the amount of money you raise by limiting the amount of money you spend. Keep your expenses low by asking people to donate or discount items such as venue rental fees, entertainment, decorations, food and beverages. Ask for donations for auction items and raffle prizes.
- Make a list, check it twice. Who will want to be involved in your event? Identify who those people are, how you want to get them involved, how you will ask them and if they will be available when you need them.
- Shout it from the rooftops.Much of your success will depend on how well you spread the word about your event and the number of people you invite. How do you plan to let people know about your event? The more ways you can get the word out, the better.
- Incorporate other ways to raise money. Think about creative ways to raise funds — live or silent auctions, raffles, 50-50 drawings, passing the hat, and sales of food or merchandise are just some examples of ways you can raise additional funds at an event.
- Don’t forget to say thanks.Send letters to all of the supporters and volunteers that helped make your event a success. You will probably want their help again next year!
- Keep lists up-to-date.Having a list of your event contacts makes future planning much easier. Make sure all contact lists always have the most up-to-date information (email, addresses and phone numbers).
- Mark your calendar. If you know the date for next year’s event, be sure to let everyone know as soon as possible so they can plan to attend!
Step 3: Make donation
Please send any donations you’ve collected to Central Oklahoma Humane Society, P.O. Box 18471, Oklahoma City, OK 73154. Thank you so much for your support! Please contact us with any questions at 405-286-1229 x3.