In honor of Earth Day on April 22, we’d like to share some great outdoor activities for you and your furry friend to enjoy! Just like people, pets need plenty of exercise and socialization. So set aside the remote, step outside with your pet, and have some fun al fresco style – we’ve got plenty of ideas to get you started!
- Organize a Play Date – Play dates are a great way for dogs to socialize! Find a dog park in your area to meet and greet with other pups, or if you have your own fenced-in yard, invite friends or family members over with their pets for an afternoon of fun.
- Get Active – Whether it’s in your own backyard or at a local dog park, you can up the outdoor ante with a game of Frisbee or fetch. If you don’t have access to a confined space, consider biking or jogging with your pup.
- Take a Hike – Even if you take your dog on regular walks, hitting a hiking trail can provide a challenging, refreshing change of scenery. You can vary between a leisurely or more intense pace and even mix up the length of your outings, from short stints to an all-day adventure.
- Visit an Outdoor Café – Pet-friendly dining is becoming very popular with establishments that offer outdoor seating, from coffeehouses to full-fledged restaurants. If you have a well-behaved pooch, it can be a great opportunity to relax and bond.
- Test the Waters – Water sports can be a great way to cool off your pup on a hot day, and it’s great exercise. It’s low-impact, and it works many muscles at the same time. While not all dogs are natural swimmers, most can learn to enjoy it.
- Here, Kitty Kitty – Contrary to popular belief, outdoor fun isn’t just for dogs. With the right preparation, cats can get in on the action, too. You can take your kitty out for some supervised exploring. While most cats don’t take to a leash naturally, some will with a bit of training, or you can explore the stroller option, which gives kitty a moving but safe view of outside sights and sounds.
These are just a few ways for you and your pet to enjoy the great outdoors together! Social networking sites and apps such as BarkHappy can also be a great resource for finding doggie-friendly places in your area. So what are you waiting for? Get outside and appreciate our beautiful planet with your best friend!