Fourth of July Pet Safety Tips

Like many Americans, you may be planning to have a festive Fourth of July. While putting the finishing touches on your celebration, take a moment to consider your pets. Here are 10 tips from Pet MD on how to keep your pet safe this Fourth of July:

  • Keep your Pet Indoors at All Times – It may seem obvious, but even if your pet is used to being outside, the resulting panic caused by fireworks may make them break their restraint or jump a fence in an attempt to find safety.
  • Don’t Put Insect Repellant on Your Pet that isn’t Specifically for Pet Use – The same tip applies to applying “people” sunscreen on your pet. What isn’t toxic to humans can be toxic to animals.
  • Alcoholic Drinks Poison Pets – If your pet drinks alcohol, they can become dangerously intoxicated, go into a coma, or in severe cases, die from respiratory failure. Even beer is toxic; fermented hops and ethanol are poisonous to dogs and cats.
  • Going to a Fireworks Display? Leave Your Pet at Home – The safest place for your pet is at home. The combination of too many people and loud fireworks will make your pet panic and seek shelter. Locking them in the car is not an option; your pet may suffer brain damage and heat stroke.
  • Have Your Pet Properly Identified – If your pet manages to break loose and become lost, without proper identification it will be that much harder to get them back. Consider fitting your pet with microchip identification, ID tags with their name and your phone number, or both.
  • Keep Your Pet Away from Glow Jewelry – It might look cute, but your pet could chew up and swallow the plastic adornments causing severe illness.
  • NEVER Use Fireworks Around Pets – While lit fireworks can pose a danger to curious pets and potentially result in severe burns and/or trauma, even unused fireworks can be hazardous. Some fireworks contain toxic substances such as arsenic, potassium nitrate, and other heavy metals.
  • Don’t Give Your Pet “Table Food” – If you are having a backyard barbeque, you may be tempted to slip some snacks to your pet. But like beer and chocolate, there are other festive foods that could harm your pet.
  • Lighter Fluid and Matches Are Harmful to Pets – Chlorates are a harmful chemical substance found in some matches that, if ingested, can cause difficulty in breathing, damaged blood cells or even cause kidney disease. If exposed to lighter fluid, your pet may sustain skin irritation, respiratory problems, and gastric
  • Citronella Insect Control Products Harm Pets, Too – Oils, candles, insect coils and other citronella-based repellants are irritating toxins to pets. The result of inhalation can cause severe respiratory illnesses such as pneumonia, and ingestion can harm your pet’s nervous system.